On 12 August 2019, the prime minister announced a review on sentences for the most serious offences.
It is part of a package of measures that include:
- consideration of not letting out prisoners part-way through their sentence
- a review of how to break the cycle of re-offending
- additional £85 million to Crown Prosecution Service
- 10,000 additional prison places starting with HMP Full Sutton
- recruitment of extra 20,000 police officers over three years
- giving police greater powers to stop and search. [19.08]